– coin flipping: all heads
– expert wordplay
– traveling players stooping to prostitution/base exhibition
– ‘all your life you live so close to the truth; it becomes a permanent blur in the corner of your eye, and when something nudges it into outline it is like being ambushed by a grotesque.’
– ‘we might have been left to sift the whole field of human nomenclature, like two blind me looting a bazaar for their own portraits.’
– what fine persecution – to be kept intrigued without ever quite being enlightened…’
appurtenance: gear: equipment consisting of miscellaneous articles needed for a particular operation or sport, etc.
– ‘out of the void, finally, a sound; while on a boat (admittedly) outside the auction (admittedly) the perfect and absolute silence of the wet lazy slap of water against water and the rolling creak of timber-breaks; giving rise at once to the speculation or the assumption or the hope that something is about to happen; a pipe is heard. One of the sailors has pursed his lips against a woodwind, his fingers and thumb governing, shall we say, the ventages, whereupon, giving it breath, let us say, with his mouth, it, the pipe, discourses, as the saying goes, most eloquent music. A thing like that, it could change the course of events.’